Saturday, December 15, 2007

Info on Studded Tire Damage to our Roads...

It's not hard to find, just Google "studded tire damage" and up will pop a number of studies regarding the damage caused to our highway system by studded tires.


One of many such reports have been done by Washington state that shows clearly the damage that's accomplished by this old technology. I have written previously on this damage after reading reported spending on studded tire costs of mitigation that estimated western states spend between $20M to $50M a year re-lining, re-covering or refurbishing our roadways. Studies from Alaska to California all come to the same conclusion: studded tires are costly to tax payers! Today, while coming back from Marsing, snapped some pictures that I knew I could compare to the study done in WA:






The above picture out of the WA study clearly shows the types of damage from studded tires vs. the damage caused by heavy trucks to asphalt roads.


The following two pictures I snapped today on I-84 between Nampa and Meridian, note any commonality?

(note, the rutted tracks don't match the truck wheels?)


(note how this Pontiac Gran Prix wheel width matches those ruts?)


I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that we are paying a ton of money re-lining and re-paving our roads every year when their life cycle is being cut to shreds by our continued over use of studded tires. Some folks do need more traction, but those folks are causing a ton of damage to our roads that all the rest of us must pay for.

When we are scratching for transportation Dollars, I have to ask why we have not had a recommendation from ITD regarding either adding a highway maintenance surcharge on studded tires or even limiting the months they can be used. It's time to do something different.

There are alternatives to studded tires that cause much less road damage as well as reduce noise and air pollution (Air pollution? Where do you think all the asphalt and concrete that is worn away goes to? It becomes airborne dust...). These newer technology tires do provide equal or better traction when compared to studded tires. I've used many alternatives to studded tires and actually like them better.

Those that insist on running the little "road grinders" or need them to get around in their area, need to start paying their fair share for the road maintenance that is required due to their choices of winter tires.

Your thoughts?



5 comments:

slfisher said...

There is a limit on which months studded snow tires can be used. I believe it's October 1 through May 1.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely...tax the use of studded tires.

Anonymous said...

I have used Snow Tires (w/ out studs) for the past 3 years, I found myself slipping on ice too much, and note that I was driving slow- the speed limit during the winter. One day I hit a patch of ice and ended up going off the road and rolling my car three times; remember i was still only going 20 mph in 4high. I don't know how, but i walked out. I decided to go with studded tires on the new car; what a miracle they are. I have not lost one bit of traction what so ever on any ice or snow. To me studs save accidents which save lives. You go ahead and complain about the ruts, but think about what matters most? No ruts? or preventing accidents in weather conditions that you can't control. Sure tax us who choose those studs some more somehow, I wont complain because you wont be able to stop me from using my tires. I put them on Nov. 1 and remove them April 29th, and that will not stop.

Sen. Marv Hagedorn said...

Studs do provide enhanced traction, they also increase the wear on the roadways.

I am not one that would want to "outlaw" studs or anything else, but do believe that users of studs need to pay their way. Studs cause more damage to our roads than other types of snow tires do and those users should pay more for the restoration of the roadway damages.

There are areas in our state where I would also use studs, the treasure valley is not one of them. But there are users that feel more confident here in the valley with them and I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with those that don't use studs sharing the costs to repair the damage caused by those that feel they need them. I believe it's only fair for the users to pay their way.

Thanks for your comments, it does show that some folks do need studs... no reason to "outlaw" them.

Anonymous said...

Question: has anyone compared the cost of resurfacing stud-damaged roadways with the cost of sending emergency personnel and road crews and wreckers to deal with ice-related accidents, and to the cost to medical systems for those injured in those accidents?