Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"I do solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States..."

As a retired Navy Mustang and now in my 4th Legislative term, I've taken and had the opportunity to administer this oath many times in my life. Every time I do, I think how powerful a statement that it really is. Supporting and defending our Constitution has never meant to me "yeah, but only the parts I like", it's been all or nothing... I've alway felt a sense of pride and purpose after the oath because this document has, since 1776, reflected what America is about.. it's our spirit, our grit, our civility and our sense of equality. It represents our path to the freedoms we enjoy.

It concerns and saddens me when I see or hear someone making laws or creating Executive Orders that are outside the framework of this document of freedom, it's like a kick in the gut to me and I know many that are like me as well. There are those that intentionally push to the limits of that document, I suspect to find those edges of what's acceptable and what's not, it bothers me when it appears our leaders wantonly ignore it. Don't they realize how many have laterally shed blood, given their lives or lost everything they ever worked for to protect our process of law?

Many reading this are likely to think that I'm talking about our President and his Executive Orders or appointments by-passing the congressional process as outlined in this glorious document. Although an excellent example of what seems to be broken in Washington D.C., that's not what I'm commenting on here. I have been concerned about people that are adamant that we need to just stand up for our 10th Amendment rights as a State to bypass "Obamacare". That we need to just ignore the law and decision of the Supreme Court (because few of us in Idaho agreed with that decision) and do our own thing because we have the right to do so under the 10th Amendment.

Now don't get me wrong, as I've stated before, I have sworn to that oath to "support and defend" many times. I, along with millions of US Citizens including many of you, have taken that oath and we do that for the ENTIRE Constitution, not just for the parts we like. Many seem to forget that Article III, Section 1 defines the third branch of government, OUR Supreme Court, and it's powers are defined in Section 2. Ignoring the decisions of that third branch of government, as much as we don't like it, would make us as guilty as those that have been found to have mis-used their powers before outside of our Constitution... I will not be placed in the same class of "leader" who seems to have no respect for this document that has so well outlined a civil process for the freedoms that we can enjoy. I will not ignore ANY article or section of the document I have dedicated much of my life sworn to "support and defend" and it would surprise me if many would.

I was very proud to be on the House floor when we voted to make Idaho the 1st State in our great nation to stand up to and sue the Federal government for what we believed was an over reach of their Congressional and Executive powers. We stood beside 26 other states and fought that battle to the Supreme Court. The decision from the Supreme Court was not just that Obamacare was a legal law, but it affirmed that the Citizens of these United States had elected the officials that made it law and clearly indicated "you got what you voted for"...

Ignoring this decision, or ignoring Article III of our Constitution isn't the way to fix the healthcare mess we are in, the true fix is to elect leaders who recognize individual and States rights and who are willing to create the laws that are respectful of those rights outlined in the document of freedom we all hold so dearly.

I have learned the hard way that making laws that fit within our State's Constitution, the US Constitution, US law and the decisions of the Supreme Courts (State and Federal) is not an easy task. It takes a great deal of time to implement, create or fix laws that will squeeze neatly within the boundaries established by the decisions of our forefathers. Patience, for those that know me well, was never one of my strong points... but I've had to learn that it takes a great deal patience to chart the correct path remaining within the boundaries of those decisions and laws that are a result of the process outlined our Constitution.

Ignoring ANY part of our State or Federal Constitution, our laws or decisions created through the process outlined by our Constitutions, reduces us to the same level of those we now despise for ignoring those Articles or Amendments that we hold so dearly... are you really willing to go there?

I'm not, I've taken that oath too many times, it's a part of me now...
http://chumly.com/n/19c817a

No comments: